16 Dec Maintaining your commercial property in London
This week we will be looking into London property maintenance tips that we at ECS Commercial Cleaning would consider essential to ensuring the smooth operation of a busy working environment. We will be paying particular attention to office maintenance, which if left neglected by business owners, lease holders or landlords, can become very costly in the long run. Maintenance is a subject that tends to be ignored and potentially forgotten about due to the work and costs involved. For example, for how long have you put-off fixing that broken tap in the past? A routine maintenance plan is likely to be of great benefit as any potential problems in the future can quickly be identified and rectified before they become too much of an issue. Let’s take at a look at a few office maintenance tips to get you started:
Conduct monthly property maintenance and safety audits
We would suggest conducting monthly maintenance and safety audits to ensure that your property is up to standards. Items such as fixtures should remain a priority as they may be essential in an emergency situation for example. These can include items such as emergency lighting, exit signs, general lighting, fire doors and more.
Try to avoid DIY property maintenance
Although it may be tempting to try and rectify an issue yourself, there are a number of downsides to this that a professional property maintenance London company such as ECS would not experience. For example:
- DIY repair projects can be very costly and require skilled professionals in order to ensure that they are carried out effectively.
- Your own DIY efforts may not be as resilient or last as long as if a professional company were to carry out the works.
- Your own DIY efforts may not produce the outcome as expected, ultimately resulting in a loss of money and time for the company.
Ensure your office environment is kept clean and free from germs
As a business owner, you should be aware of the important of ensuring that working environments are kept clean, tidy and free from germs and bacteria. It is also important to ensure that your staff also realise them importance of this and are given the correct advice to helping to maintain this, particularly when communal environments such as kitchens and bathrooms are concerned. Some office cleaning tips are as follows:
- Ensure that all staff members and subcontractors are aware of food and drinks policies, which should advise them only to eat within designated areas such as the communal kitchen or canteen.
- Ensure that office cleaning items and products are available for staff if required. If for example a spillage is made on a tiled kitchen floor, this will need to be mopped up immediately and a wet floor caution sign positioned to ensure that no one slips over and comes to harm.
- ECS recommend the use of a microfibre mop as they can be used with fewer chemicals or even just with water. These mops are also considered very hygienic and easy to clean.
- Ensure easy access to simple items such as disinfectant wipes.
- Create a weekly cleaning checklist and assign tasks/office areas for staff members to clean. Pay particular attention to areas such as kitchens and bathrooms. Rotate the schedule so that staff are not always left cleaning certain areas consistently – for example, who would want to be left cleaning the bathroom every week. Ensure that your cleaning schedule works in conjunction with your property maintenance schedule.
- Hire the professionals to manage your cleaning tasks for you. ECS are ready to take your call!
Keep your pest control under control
Pest infestations can be hugely damaging and costly to any business. Not only can pests such as mice and rats cause damage to your property, but the damage that this can do to a business’s reputation can be deadly. The negative impact on reputation that an infestation can have depends greatly on the nature of the business. For example, in the age of social media, a hotel experiencing an outbreak of bedbugs can quickly receive a large amount of negative feedback online. Remember, pest control is not just about protecting the physical aspects of your business, but also protecting the reputation of your business.
For more commercial property maintenance tips, a search on Google will yield a number of reliable sources. For information on general pest control, please click on the following link: https://bpca.org.uk/pest-advice/domestic.
For more information on how ECS Commercial Cleaning can assist you with your property maintenance efforts, please click on the following link to contact us https://ecscommercialcleaning.co.uk/contact/.